Sunday, September 26, 2010

When going gets tough the tough get dancing?

In my younger day's, when I was in the United States Army, I was about 215 lbs of solid muscle.  I could remember acting all tough when it came to doing anything physical.  When people wanted to wrestle, I was the guy who always won.  When people wanted to see who could do the most push-ups, I was always in the top spots.  When I went home at night I only watched, what I considered to be, manly TV.  I watched things like; football, wrestling, The Fox network, and anything that stimulated my mind.  I was often referred to as one of the most manly men around.

So there I was, sitting in one of my classes, when I noticed this young man walk through the door.  He stood about 6 feet 2 inches, about 220 lbs of muscle, and walked with a swagger that suggested that he was the baddest guy on the planet.  The class began and we (the student) started to introduce ourselves, it was finally this guys time to speak and introduce himself.  I thought to myself could this guy be the next manly man? could he be the guy to gain my respect as a tough guy? I waited in anticipation. 

The Professor asked the class to answer three questions; "your name, occupation, and your favorite TV show". The guy who I felt could be a manly man opened with, "My name is Mark Steele".  A strong sounding name, I thought to my self. Currently, I am a full time student, I was just released from the U.S. Marine Corp". "I thought I'm pretty much sold, he get the title hands down."  One last question stood between Mark and him being considered a tough guy. As he started to respond to the last question, he sort of looked around at the class, took a deep breath and uttered the most disappointing word I ever heard,  "My favorite TV show is "Dancing with the Stars".  I thought I was going to die.

That goes to show you that you cannot judge a book by it cover.  

No comments:

Post a Comment