Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Down with Due Rags

I was on my way to school and decieded to take the bus and the train so that I could have some time to read and study before my class this morning.  As I got on the bus I noticed a young man with a du-rag on his head.  This is a common act among the African-American young men.  The du-rag is used as a fashion statement as well as a method of grooming one's hair.  So when I saw the young man with his du-rag on, I honestly have to say that I didn't pay any real attention to it.

Two stops into my ride I noticed a group of African-American women getting on the bus and guess what, they all had du-rags or at least some kind of wrap on thier heads.  I thought to myself, "how hard would it have been to brush your hair or put on a hat?"  Just as I was getting that thought through my head another group of African-American men and women got on the bus and guess what they had on each of thier head?  You guessed it, a du-rags.

I mean come on, is the du-rag the new hat or is it just another excuse black folks are coming up with not to do something correctly.  How long does it take for a man to brush his head before he walks out of the house?  How long does it take a woman to pull her hair back in a pony tail or throw on a wig before exiting the front door?  Maybe I'll never know the answer but I can say that I will never be caught leaving my home with a du-rag on my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment